Questions To Ask When Picking A Wedding Venue
Picking a venue for your wedding is one of the most important decisions you'll make when it comes to planning your big day. There are a bunch of things you need to know before you choose, and here are a list of questions you can ask the venue co-ordinator to make sure this is the place for you.
Picking a venue for your wedding is one of the most important decisions you'll make in terms of planning your big day. There are a bunch of things you need to know before you choose, and here are a list of questions you can ask the venue co-ordinator to make sure this is the place for you.
- What dates are available? Are there any other weddings booked on the preferred day?
- How many guests can the venue accommodate? Is there a minimum or maximum amount?
- Will there be formal seating or a cocktail party style atmosphere?
- What is the cost of hiring the venue? Does it vary depending on the season, day of the week or time of the day? How much is the deposit, and is it refundable?
- What is included in the package? Are there any added extras? How flexible is it?
- Is the venue available for exclusive use?
- What’s the cancellation policy?
- Are there any additional charges to know about e.g. cleaning fees or gratuity?
- How long do I have the venue for? Is there an overtime fee?
- Does the venue have liability insurance? What’s the weather contingency plan for outdoor spaces?
Services and Equipment
- Do you have to use the venue’s recommended vendors?
- What services are offered with the wedding package? E.g. staff and vendors
- Is there a person in charge on the wedding day? E.g. day-of-coordinator, in-house planner. Do they come at an additional cost?
- Do they have the equipment you need or will you need to hire it? E.g. tables, chairs, linen, plates, glassware, cake-cutting utensils etc.
- Will the venue provide A/V equipment such as speakers, microphones, cables etc.?
- Do they have in-house catering? Are you required to choose caterers of their choice? Do they cater to dietary requirements or allergies? Is there a taste-testing?
- Are you able to decorate the venue according to your plan or move things around if need be?
- What time can the vendors start setting up? When can deliveries be made?
- Does the venue have staff that assist with equipment, decorating, getting gifts and décor to designated spaces?
- Who is in charge of decorating the venue?
- What is the pricing for alcohol served and is it per bottle opened or per glass served? Does the venue allow people to BYO drinks? What’s the corkage fee?
- Does the venue have enough parking spaces? Will guests be charged for parking? Is there valet parking? Are there any taxi or shuttle services?
- Is there a coat-check service or a room that can be used for this purpose? (Important during the winter seasons)
- Is the site handicap accessible?
- Is there a kitchen and all the required facilities for the caterers? Where does the caterer set up?
- Does the venue have a bar and liquor license?
- Can the venue accommodate a DJ, musician or band? Are there enough power outlets?
- Is there a dance floor or specific area designated for dancing? What’s the capacity?
- How many restrooms does the venue have?
- Is there a bridal suite or any private rooms?
- Does the venue have air conditioning or heating? (Depends on the season)
- Is there somewhere safe to store wedding gifts and other personal items?
- Are there any nearby hotels that they can recommend? (For guests travelling a long distance)
- Does the venue allow alcohol and/or open flames?
- Are there any areas of the venue that are off-limits?
- Are there noise restrictions?
- Are there restrictions on the music you can play?
- Are there decoration restrictions? Does the venue allow candles/sparklers/fireworks etc?
- Are there any restrictions for the photographer? E.g. no flash photography
- Is there a specific time by which guests need to leave the venue?
Sign up here to start your wedding planning adventure!